Sweet Potato Pie Casserole

 


Favorite Thanksgiving side anybody?

For the filling:
  • 3 pounds sweet potatoes
  • 1/3 cup white sugar. 
  • 3 eggs. 
  • 1/4 cup orange juice. 
  • 1 Tbsp. cinnamon. 
  • 4 Tbsp. melted butter. 
  • 1/2 tsp salt. 
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract. 
For the topping: 
  • 16 ounces chopped pecans. 
  • 2/3 cup brown sugar. 
  • 1 stick of butter. 
Directions for the filling:
  1. Peel all sweet potatoes with a veg peeler. 
  2. Using a cutting board and a serrated knife, cut one potato at a time in half, cross-wise. 
  3. Then place each half cut-side down and slice from the top in half again. 
  4. Then cut each of those pieces into quarters. 
  5. Place potatoes in a 2.5 quart glass bowl and fill with water until potatoes are completely covered, or until you have 1 inch room from the top of the bowl, whichever comes first. 
  6. Microwave potatoes on high for 10 minutes. 
  7. Stir, then microwave for 10 more minutes. 
  8. Allow to cool for 5 minutes. 
  9. Remove from microwave and drain potatoes into a colander. 
  10. Place them back into the bowl.
  11. Slice the butter into 1/2 Tbsp.-sized pieces and add them to the top.
  12. Add all remaining filling ingredients and use a hand mixer to blend until smooth. 
  13. Transfer to a 13X9 inch casserole dish. (I know I used a smaller one shown.)
Directions for the topping:
  1. In the same bowl, add pecans, brown sugar and melted butter. 
  2. Stir to combine. 
  3. Pour evenly over casserole.
  4. Bake casserole at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 50 minutes. 
  5. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving. 
Serves 10

Note: I just made this casserole while not having everything on hand. As a commitment to myself, I document all recipes, in case I prefer them later. 

I just made this casserole without eggs. I only had 2 Tbsp. butter, which I used for the filling. I added 4 ounces of cream cheese and 1 Tbsp. EVOO to compensate. 

For the topping, I didn't have any butter, so I used 2% milk instead. 

It's still cooling. We'll see if it's good. 👍 Oh, and I used a 9 inch square casserole dish too. 





Comments