Thai Curry Sweet Potato Lentil, Amy's Inspired Soup

 


I didn't think I liked this at first, but I have acclimated SO much to Asian spices (like lemongrass), that I am obsessed with it now. I just can't handle the sodium content, which is why I'm making a home version. 

The leeks tasted SO delicious in this, but I'm pretty sure they don't sell them at my Walmart, and even if they did, I'm not all that experienced at cooking with them. And since this soup has onions in it anyway, I'm gonna sub Kale for the leeks. 

Serves 10

Ingredients: 

  • 3 leeks or 2 cups kale; rinsed, trimmed and sliced into 1/4-inch ribbons (leeks) crosswise, or chopped into large pieces (kale).
  • 3 sweet potatoes, cleaned and diced
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 2 tbsp EVOO
  • 2 tbsp unsalted butter 
  • 1 pound (2 cups) green lentils
  • 6 cups filtered water, or 3 bottles Aquafina
  • 2 tbsp ginger juice, like Ginger People brand. 
  • 1 tbsp chili powder 
  • 1 tbsp ground coriander 
  • 1 tsp ground cumin, 
  • 1 tbsp lime zest
  • 1 tsp salt, or more to taste 
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 2 jalapeños, de-stemmed and de-seeded
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder 
  • 1 tsp ground Black Pepper 
  • 1 tbsp lemongrass tea 
Directions: 
  1. Make the curry paste: To a high speed blender, add chili powder, cream, ginger juice, lime zest, coriander, cumin, salt, jalapeño, lemongrass, garlic powder and pepper. 
  2. Blend until smooth. Set aside. 
  3. Heat butter and EVOO in a 6-quart dutch oven over medium-high (6).
  4. Add onion, leeks or kale, and sweet potatoes. Fry for 10 minutes, adding 1 tbsp water at a time as necessary to prevent scorching. 
  5. Add 6 cups filtered water and bring to boil. 
  6. Reduce heat to low, add lentils and cook for 6 minutes, stirring regularly. 
  7. Add curry paste. Stir well.
  8. Cook for 6 more minutes.


Comments