10 Servings of Beef Chop Suey







I took Kyle to one of my favorite Chinese Restaurants in town. It's famous for cheap cashew and sweet and sour chicken. But I wanted to try something new on the menu, so I decided to google "chop suey". Turns out it's a heavy sauce-laden dish with a lot of cooked vegetables. 

It comes with rice, and you can get whatever kind of protein you want. I wasn't disappointed. This turned out great. 

So, this is the inspiration for this weeks meal plan. You guys saw my chop suey ramen dish from last week - well, this is the rice and potatoes version of that. Plus vegetables!

Ingredients for the meatballs:

  • 3 lb. of ground beef
Ingredients for the rice:
  • 2 lb. long grain white rice
  • 3 tablespoons of butter
  • 2 tsp of black pepper
  • 2 tsp of salt
  • 10 cups of filtered water
Ingredients for the potatoes:
  • 5 lb of potatoes (russets)
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 2 tsp black pepper
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1.5 cups of milk
Ingredients for the brown gravy:
  • the fond and drippings from 3 pounds of roasted ground beef
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 2 tbsp of tomato paste, or one can of petite diced tomatoes.
  • 2 tsp Garlic powder
  • 4 tsp Onion powder
  • 1 tsp Black pepper
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 6 tbs Soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons of corn starch
  • 4 cups filtered water.
Ingredients for the chop suey sauce:

  • ⅔ cup Thai sweet chili sauce
  • 1 tbsp Ginger

  • 2 tbsp Sesame oil

  • ¼ cup White wine 

  • ¼ cup Soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp Chili powder
  • 1 tbsp Garlic powder, or 6 cloves of garlic, minced. 
Ingredients for the chop suey (vegetables):
  • 4 medium yellow onions

  • 2 stalks of celery

  • 3 small green cabbages. 

Directions for the meatballs:
  1. first get out a 9 by 13 oven safe casserole dish. i use this to catch the drippings to use later for their gravy

  2. Then we'll get out 3 lb. of ground beef. I like to use the square kind because it's easy for me to portion it into sixteen 1-oz pieces.

  3. cut each hamburger square in half lengthwise (pretend there's a length on a square)

  4. cut each half in half crosswise (or the opposite direction).

  5. cut each of those lengthwise halves in half

  6. and cut each of those crosswise halves in half

  7. This will leave me you with 16 1-oz pieces

  8. lazily form each piece into a meatball and toss it into the casserole dish.

  9. repeat with all 3 pounds of beef

  10. transfer the casserole dish to the oven, and bake it at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour

Directions for the Rice:
  1. now we'll prepare the rice, which will go into the oven after the meatballs are done.

  2. start out with 2 pounds long grain white rice 

  3. pour the rice into a sieve that's been placed into a colander. the sieve keeps the rice from falling through in the colander. and the colander allows the water to drain through so you can rinse your rice really well without having to hold it.

  4.  once you rinse the rice really well, transfer it to a 6 quart ceramic-coated cast-iron Dutch oven. this one I'm using is by the brand Lodge and I got it from Target. I'll link it in the blog.

  5. once you've added the rice, you're going to add 3 tablespoons of butter, 2 tsp of black pepper, and 2 tsp of salt.

  6. we're also going to add 10 cups of filtered water to the rice or if you're using bottled water it's okay to use 5 bottles of 16.9 Oz water 

  7. I just leave this on the stove so the rice can soak while the meatballs are cooking...


    ~Proceed to potatoes~


    ...and then once the timer goes off for the meatballs, my oven turns off automatically. if yours doesn't, you'll want to go ahead and turn it off but leave the meatballs in there.

  8. When the meatball timer goes off, we'll want to turn the stovetop on, because we have to boil the water before we can place it into the oven. my old oven took 30 minutes on medium-high heat to boil the rice, but I just learned my new oven only takes 5 or 10 minutes on medium-high heat for the water to get up to temperature.

  9. once this gets to a soft rolling boil and your butter is melted, turn off the burner and add place the lid for the Dutch oven on top of the rice.

  10. take the meatballs out of the oven, and replace it with the rice. 

  11. Bake the rice at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour

  12. remove from oven. remove lid, and fluff with spatula. 

  13. allow to cool in a 4 quart glass storage container with lid before transferring to the fridge.

Directions for the potatoes:
  1. While the rice is soaking, I'll go ahead and start prepping the potatoes.

  2. I have 5 lb. of potatoes these are russets but you can use any kind of potatoes you like.

  3.  I just peel all of them and toss the peeled potatoes into a large plastic Bowl.

  4.  once they're all peeled, I'll go ahead and pour them into a colander and rinse them off really well. 

  5. While they’re in the sink, I'll throw away my scraps. I wish we had a composter, but we don’t. 

  6. Then I will get out my pressure cooker. some people call this an instant pot but mine is the GoWise brand. It’s just a modern electric pressure cooker.

  7. then I will get out of cutting board and a knife and I will cut them into large diced pieces by cutting each potato in half lengthwise.

  8. Then cutting each half in half length wise.

  9. Then make cross-cuts to create the large dice sized pieces.

  10. How many cross-cuts you need will depend on the size of your potato. For large potatoes, you’ll need up to 5 cross cuts of equal length. For medium potatoes, 4 cross cuts. Small potatoes, 3 cross cuts, and teensy potatoes, just 1 cross cut.

  11. Once they’re cut, I’ll transfer those pieces into the pressure cooker Barrel. 

  12. Add 2 cups of water to the potatoes, 1 stick of butter, 2 tsp black pepper, and 2 tsp salt.

  13. Place on the lid, turn it to closed, and make sure the vent is set to sealed.

  14. Cook on high pressure for 40 minutes.


    ~Proceed to the rice (step 7)~


  15. Once the timer goes off, keep the vent closed, and the keep warm setting on. This will allow the potatoes to continue cooking for another 40 minutes to 1 hour. Convenience is the only factor for the difference. I’ll start tending to it once the rice gets pulled out of the oven.

  16. When the potatoes are done, I’ll add 1 and a half cups of milk, and stir well. 

Storage Notes:
  1. Now it’s time to transfer all of these dishes to storage containers. 
  2. The rice will need a 16 cup, or 4 quart glass storage container with lid. I say glass, because the rice is still very hot. 
  3. Then I'll fish out the meatballs with tongs, and transfer them to a glass storage container with lid. This one only needs to be about 2.5 quarts, or 10 cups. 
~Pause~

These mashed potatoes are SO good. Put a lid on them, and allow them to cool down before placing them in the fridge, otherwise they’ll raise the temperature of the fridge.


Directions for the gravy:
  1. Now I'm going to transfer the beef fond and drippings into a large Skillet. this one is the Always Pan. I'll link it on the blog. I use the skillet for everything - I absolutely love it.

  2. this first part I'm going to show you is what you would do to make beef brown gravy and once you get done with this, I'm going to add additional spices and that is what's going to turn this into the beef chop suey sauce 

  3. Add 1 stick of butter to the pan.
  4. Get out a cup, and add 3 tablespoons of corn starch to it.
  5. add 1 cup filtered water to the corn starch. This is going to be the cornstarch slurry to thicken the gravy. You have to mix it up separately with cold water, rather than just adding it to the heat, or it will be clumpy. Stir it up really well. 
  6. Normally I don't measure out all of my spices, but I was filming on my phone, so I couldn’t refer to it for the quantities. And I used dark theme on my blog for your precious eyeballs, so I couldn’t print the recipe without using every ounce of toner in my printer. 

  7. So I have my pan turned up to medium-high, and I'm adding 1 can of petite diced tomatoes. Normally I would just use 2 tbsp of tomato paste, but I was out. 

  8. TO that I’ll add: 2 tsp Garlic powder, 4 tsp Onion powder, 1 tsp Black pepper, 1 tsp Salt, and 6 tbs Soy sauce.

  9. Heat this up, while stirring regularly, until the butter melts and it starts boiling. 

  10. Then add the corn starch slurry and stir well. 

  11. Once this thickens, add remaining 3 cups of water.

  12. Bring that up to heat, and this would be your finished brown gravy, if you were going to stop there. 

Directions for the chop suey sauce:
  1. But we’re not gonna stop there! We’re gonna make chop suey sauce! I turned the burner off, since I had to pre-measure my ingredients like before.

  2. These are some of the brands of the spices I'll be using. We've got Melinda's Thai Sweet Chili Sauce, Imperial Dragon Sesame Seed Oil, Holland House White Cooking Wine. Of course, if you’ve got something better, use that. The rest of the ingredients are not brand specific. 

  3. Okay so this is very extra, and you do not have to do this, but I was feeling like adding fresh minced garlic at the end of the sauce, instead of garlic powder, but you could totally use garlic powder instead.
  4. Here I am turning the burner back on to medium-high heat. I only turned it off after I made the gravy, because I was measuring out my ingredients.
  5. Add ⅔ cup Thai sweet chili sauce, 1 tbsp Ginger, 2 tbsp Sesame oil, ¼ cup White wine, ¼ cup Soy sauce, 2 tbsp Chili powder, 1 tbsp Garlic powder, or 6 cloves of garlic, minced. I should have added the fresh garlic closer to the end, otherwise it defeats the purpose of using it. 
  6. Bring it up to a boil, and turn the heat down to low, or simmer. 
Directions for the vegetables:
  1. While that’s simmering, we are going to prep the vegetables. 

  2. I used 4 medium yellow onions, 2 stalks of celery, and 3 small green cabbages. 

  3. Cut the onion in half, lengthwise, and then trim off the root and stem end.

  4. Peel off the jacket, and slice them into ¼ inch slices, lengthwise.

  5. Then make one cross-cut.

  6. Toss them into a plastic storage container, and repeat with remaining 3 onions. 

  7. Peel off the outer layer of your cabbage and give it a rinse.
  8. Cut off the root end, then carefully slice the cabbage in half.
  9. Cut out the core from each half.
  10. Then lay the cabbage ½ to one side, and slice it into ½ inch ribbons.
  11. Transfer to storage container and repeat with remaining cabbages. 
  12. Trim the celery root off, by about 2 inches, and discard the root.
  13. Then rinse all of the ribs.
  14. Cut the leaves off the tops, and slice them, crosswise, into 1 inch pieces.
  15. Transfer to a large storage container. I needed two 16 cup containers for all of this.
  16. Repeat with both stalks of celery. 
  17. Discard all of your scraps. 
When ready to serve:
  1. In order for everything to heat evenly, I've found that it's best to just microwave everything separately, before adding it all together.
  2. In a 1-quart microwave safe glass bowl, add 1 cup of the vegetable medley and 1 cup filtered water.
  3. cook on high for 7 minutes. set aside.
  4. in a separate microwave safe bowl, add 2/3 cup mashed potatoes, and cook on high for 1.5 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Add this to a large bowl for serving.
  5. In the same bowl you used for the mashed potatoes, add 2/3 cup of rice and microwave on high for 1.5 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds. Add the rice to the potatoes.
  6. In the same bowl you used for the mashed potatoes and rice, add 4 meatballs and microwave on high for 1 minute, stirring halfway through. Add meatballs to the rice and potatoes.
  7. With a slotted spoon, fish out the vegetables (allowing the water to drain out), and place them in the bowl with the rice, potatoes and meatballs.
  8. In the same bowl you used for the potatoes, rice and meatballs, add 2.3 cup of gravy and heat on high for 1.5 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds.
  9. Pour over finished ingredients and toss gently.
Enjoy!

Comments