Lemon Poppyseed Keto Mug Cake

 


I got a keto cookbook, “The Beginner’s Keto Meal Plan,” by Kassey Cameron, and I’ve been wanting to make her lemon poppyseed muffins, but I’m so new to keto that I’ve never even made a mug cake yet, so this recipe is born of both of those recipes (plus blueberries, just because). 

As my husband would say, “it’s legit.” 

Serves 2

Ingredients:

  • 3 tbsp almond flour (blanched, fine)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp butter (salted or unsalted)
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 tbsp sour cream (or Greek yogurt, or cream cheese)
  • 1/16 tsp cinnamon 
  • 1 tbsp frozen wild blueberries 
  • 1/2 tbsp poppyseeds 
  • Juice from 1/2 a lemon
  • 1/4 tsp xanthum gum (optional, for firmness)
  • 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional, for healthiness)
  • 1 tbsp erythritol (most recipes call for 2 tbsp, but I don’t think erythritol is good for my particular body - it makes my eyes burn, which also happens to me when I eat vegetable oil, so that can’t be good. Anyway, keep that in mind if you like “normal” sweetness.)
Directions:
  1. Melt the butter (and cream cheese, if using) in the microwave for 30 seconds.
  2. Stir until dissolved, and add remainder of ingredients (except blueberries). 
  3. Stir well, then add blueberries, then stir gently. 
  4. Divide among 2 ramekins or mugs, and microwave each of them separately for 60 seconds. 
Note: you can make an optional cream cheese icing for this by combining the zest of 1 lemon to 1 tbsp cream cheese, 2 tsp erythritol, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, and the juice of 1/2 lemon. Soften the cream cheese in the microwave first for 30 seconds. 
 

Comments