Beef Bulgogi with Spicy Peanut Slaw

 


This is another one of those recipes, that I just happened to have a photo of on my phone (because I am a foodie) from like 8 months ago, which was the last time I made this recipe. 

It was a handwritten recipe, from when I only used to write the recipes for myself, and I would leave out details, because I thought I would be the only one who would ever see them, and I thought I would remember the details, but I rarely do. 

I've been saving recipes to my blog for 4 months now, when they're fresh. But I have a backlog of them that I have wanted to transfer to here from their handwritten version. 

I haven't made this in a while, because bulgogi beef, or peanut sauce aren't really my favorites. But they do happen to be Kyle's favorites, and I really should throw him a bone and make this again soon. :) 

It's originally inspired by Sam The Cooking Guy on YouTube. It definitely has my own modifications for easier-ness. I make the rules on this blog. LOL

Makes enough Bulgogi Beef, Slaw and Dressing for 8 people. 

Ingredients for the Beef (makes eight 6 oz servings):
  • 2 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced. 
  • 2 lb ground beef. 
  • 1 pear (green?), grated. 
  • 3 carrots, grated. 
  • 6 cloves of garlic, peeled, trimmed and minced. 
  • 1 tbsp gochujang. 
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar. 
  • 1 tsp sesame seed oil. 
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce. 
  • 1 onion, grated. 
  • 2 tbsp butter (for frying). 
  • 2 tbsp EVOO (also for frying). 

Directions for the Beef:
  1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Fahrenheit. 
  2. Place the ground beef on a wire rack, and place that rack on a baking sheet lined with foil. 
  3. Dry out the meat in the oven for 2 hours. 
  4. Allow the beef to cool, and transfer it to a large bowl. 
  5. Add all of the remaining ingredients for the beef, and mix well. 
  6. Add butter and EVOO to a pan that is something like the GreenPan Rio 5qt Ceramic Non-Stick Covered Saute Pan, and heat it over medium-high heat until butter melts and EVOO is just bubbling.  
  7. Increase heat to high, and fry the beef mixture until it is thoroughly done (20 minutes?), stirring occasionally. 
Ingredients for the Slaw:
  • 1 (?) Red Bell Pepper; stemmed, cored, and sliced (fajita style).
  • 1 (?) Yellow Bell Pepper; (same as red).  
  • 1 (?) Orange Bell Pepper; (same as red). 
  • 1 (?) small head of green cabbage; washed, cored, trimmed, and sliced into ribbons. 
  • 4 (?) carrots; peeled, trimmed and grated. 
  • 1 (?) English cucumber, grated. 
  • 1 bunch of cilantro; washed, trimmed, and minced. 
  • 1 head of ice burg lettuce; (same as cabbage). 
  • 4 avocados (optional); can't be prepared ahead, but sliced as 1/2 avocado per person as a garnish. 
  • 8 mini vine-ripened tomatoes (optional); can't be prepared ahead, but seeded, and diced as 1 tomato per person as a garnish.  
Directions for the Slaw (8 cups plus garnish): 
  1. Well, I pretty much said how to prepare all of the vegetables. Everything can be prepped ahead of time, and stored together, except for the avocados and tomatoes. 
  2. When ready to serve, add 1 cup of salad per 2 persons, and mix with 2 tbsp of the spicy peanut dressing (below). 
  3. Top with garnishes, if desired. 
Ingredients for the Spicy Peanut Dressing (8 oz): 
  • 1 tbsp peanut butter. 
  • 1/2 tbsp gochujang. 
  • 5 tbsp mayo. 
  • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar. 
  • 1/4 tsp sesame seed oil. 
  • 3 cloves of garlic, minced. 
  • 1/3 cup honey. 
  • 1 tbsp fresh ginger; peeled, and minced. 
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce. 
  • 1 tbsp fish sauce. 
Directions for the Spicy Peanut Dressing: 
  1. Add all ingredients to a bowl, and whisk well. 
  2. Refrigerate until ready to use. 
  3. Don't mix with the slaw until ready to serve. 
  4. Reserve 2 tbsp per 1 cup of slaw. 

Comments